My Two Loves

My Two Loves

Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Silenced Dialogue: Power and Pedagogy in Educating Other People's Children

Lisa Delpit's article which addressed cultural conflict in the classroom raised my awareness to the extend in which issues exist between educators, white students and students of color.  To be honest, I never actually considered many of the points she brought up.  Perhaps, this is due to my ignorance and lack of exposure, considering the fact that I teach in a middle class school where the majority of the students are white. I was actually taken back that in today's society there are so many issues regarding education between two commonly populated cultures.  Delpit raises the question, "How can such communication blocks exist when both parties truly believe they have the same aims"? Delpit suggests that to work toward a solution regarding these issues, people need to identify and give voice to alternative worldviews. She suggests that the issues exist due to, "the culture of power".  The five aspects of the culture of power identify the specific concerns which are prevalent in terms of education amongst white people and people of color.  The major concern here is families want their children to have the same education and opportunities but the dilemma is how can this be achieved when both parties have  such strong opinions and distinct view points.  It really comes down to society as a whole has to move away from the norm and historical ways of doing things and embrace change which, will be a more suitable approach that will take into consideration the diversity between cultures. 
Some points that I found interesting in this article where, the way in which black students view white teachers, the views in the educational system regarding students of color versus white students that struggle, and the vast differences between the same spoken language. I found the interview between the teacher and the student eye opening.  Who determines what dialect is correct?  Will students of color have a better experience with literature if it was written the way in which they speak and about things relevant to their culture/community?  A point, I never though about but something that really should be considered.  As teachers, we need to be proactive in educating our students and strive to be aware of individual challenges whether it involves culture, gender, disabilities, etc.  This quote sums up the issues concerning cultural conflict in the classroom, " The dilemma is not really in the debate over instructional
methodology, but rather in communicating across cultures and in addressing the more fundamental issue of power, of whose voice gets to be heard in determining what is best for poor children and children of color".


8 comments:

  1. I just realized that there were specific options for Talking Points Format! My blog was about Lisa Delpit's argument. This author argues that there are conflicts in this classrooms today based on a imbalance of power between cultures. Specifically, white students versus children of color. She address the miscommunication between cultures which allows white students a better education and more educational opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also teach in a middle-class school where the majority of my students and colleagues are white. I also put the quote in my blog about "How can such communication blocks exist when both parties truly believe they have the same aims?" We all want our students to be successful, but we can't ignore the fact that there are gaps and an imbalance of power. We have to "unsilence" the dialogue and start talking to we can come up with solutions. Adorable picture btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your summary of Delpit's argument. Like you I had not considered many of her points being brought up as a middle class white person. I was also taken aback that there are so many issues surrounding education and race. I guess we will be learning a lot the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole,
    Good point of view. Now that you are aware of these issues, what are you going to do? Have you think about how can you change to hear everyone's voice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nicole
    I also found the point about the way students of color view white teachers to be very interesting. As a teacher that works in Providence, I see huge differences between the same spoken language. I feel that it is possible that many children would do better in school if the literature was relevant to their culture and written as they speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole,

    Nice job with your blog! I found it interesting when Delpit said that diff cultural groups have diff attitudes regarding good characteristics for teachers. I can see myself being less 'powerful'towards blacks, to make them feel more on level ground, but knowing now that it sets them up for problems and failure was eye-opening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree with the point of view given in your summary that states "it's not the debate over instructional
    methodology, but rather in communicating across cultures and in addressing the more fundamental issue of power, of whose voice gets to be heard in determining what is best for poor children and children of color". I think we have come a long way in accepting and trying to understand other cultures but there is still soooo much work to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole, I totally can relate to your comment on having lack of exposure relating to this topic. I work with all white colleagues and never was faced with these issues. It opens up my eyes to issues teachers face in different districts.

    ReplyDelete